Tuesday 17 December 2013

Farewell Dinner Party

On Wednesday before we left the School of Nursing (SON) sponsored a party for the clinical sites, administrative people, our drivers, people from the University etc. Basically anyone that has helped make this incredible learning experience possible. Now anyone who knows me, knows that I get a bit crazy about putting on events, making sure everything is perfect. Don't get me wrong, I always love doing it and usually I am pretty happy with my results. I have to admit, I like to run the show and have control over most details, not trusting others to follow through.

Now with that in mind I will tell my story. From the very beginning I knew I had to put on this big party at the end of the semester. So when I got to Cape Town and settled in I asked Vernon what I should be doing for the party. He is a very relaxed person, you never get a feeling of anxiety from him and he told me "don't worry, just have the students make up a list of who they want from the sites". Right! So, I hound the students to make a list, hound them to give me an invitation to print up, and again hound them to give them out to everyone. In the meantime I needed Vernon to look it over to be sure we didn't forget anyone important. All I can think of is how this is all going to come together. Vernon has assured me that he has the venue, band, food ordered etc. That he just needs a list. Not that I don't trust Vernon, but let me tell you I was pretty anxious about the whole thing. I had no idea how many people would be there, the guest list was 70 people - so you see it wasn't just your typical backyard affair. On top of that I heard that last year many more people than invited showed up and we went way over budget.

Well, it was a beautiful night and a wonderful party. I walked into the function room and it was beautifully and tastefully decorated, china, crystal flowers etc. There was open bar for the guests (with the exception of the students, UConn is not allowed to provide alcohol regardless fo being over 21), band playing softly in the background and waiters going around getting drink orders. I met the chef and the rest of the crew and immediately relaxed...well, just a little bit.

In South Africa for an invitation it is customary to announce the time like this
6:30pm for 7:00. I guess that means to come anytime in that range. Just a few days before I found out that Cape Town was having a huge memorial concert for Mandiba so I was a little concerned that our turnout would be low. As 6:30, 6:45 and 7:00 came around I got even more worried that people weren't coming, there was only a few people there some I recognized, some I didn't. Then all of a sudden the place was full and the festivities commenced. First with Vernon saying a few words of thanks to everyone. Vernon is a Reverend and a very accomplished speaker, his words are always like magic. Then he says a few words about somebody that he "has had the honor and pleasure to work with etc." "Speaking as the official spokesperson for the University of Connecticut School of Nursing... Professor Denise Bourassa" of course at this point I look around because I'm not sure who that is, lol. Honestly, I knew I had to say a few words and had worked on something all afternoon. So, I got the microphone and I would like to have been as natural as Vernon, but let's face it, he's done it a lot more than I have. So, I give my words of thanks, that felt ok, but a little stiff because I had to refer to my notes. I covered that up with letting people know that speaking in front of large crowds makes me nervous. After a couple more people, Vernon came back and asked the band to accompany him and began singing "lean on me" directed for the students. They were all in tears, not only because it was beautiful but also because they know they will be on the plane back to the States in less than two days.

Dinner was great, music was fantastic and we all had a great time. Boy do those Sisters know how to have a good time. The dance floor was never empty - the students had such a good time with the Sisters that helped guide them during the semester. It really was a perfect night. See Vernon was right!

Here are a few pictures.

















No comments:

Post a Comment