Saturday 2 November 2013

Life on my own

we got back from Johannesburg last week on Sunday and I gave the students monday off to recover from days of traveling and sightseeing. Joe and I climbed Table Mountain. It was a beautiful day and perfect for hiking, of course Joe was running up the mountain and looked back to make sure I was still alive, which as you can tell, I am. The students were amazed that we did it in 1.25 hours, I was more amazed! Joe spend a couple days sightseeing with the couple that have been with us (the first professor and her husband). He got some great pictures of the coast line.

So I have been driving on my own for the last few days and have only had a few tense moments when I realize I am on the wrong side of the road. Driving on the opposite side definitely takes some getting used to, but I was very proud of getting to all three clinical sites on Wednesday with minor direction issues. The sites are in the poor townships and it's hard to see people living with so little when just miles away there are beautiful shopping malls, upscale stores, lots of restaurants and people with plenty of money. There is always people looking for food, so we have gotten used to keeping our leftovers and giving it to anyone who asks for money or food.

I taught for the first time thursday and friday for 8 hours each day. What a way to get initiated into the world of lecturing! First day was pretty rough, second day was a little easier, I am truly hoping that this week I am better prepared and a little more coherent! Luckily the students have been very patient and kind, they know I am new at this and trying my best. They are also confident that I will be fair, so that helps.

Here are pictures of our hike and Joe's drive on the coast. The first one is a picture from my balcony, the flat part is Table Mountain and that is what we hiked.









2 comments:

  1. Hi Denise, Sounds like you are just getting to "life as usual" there and no longer a tourist! Hope all is going well. Love hearing about your exploits.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful pictures mom! miss and love youu! post more soon!

    ReplyDelete