Thursday 28 November 2013

Plettenburg Bay - Outside my comfort zone in a Hostel

I never thought I would find myself crawling through passages in caves that are barely big enough for me to fit in. With names like the "stove pipe", the coffin, etc you can only imagine what I was up against. But when you are with a bunch of youngsters who are up for anything, who am I to say no?

That was the start of my hostel experience. And what an experience. Anybody who remembers our "road" in Vermont will know what I'm talking about when I describe the way to the hostel, in the middle of the night, with a nervous older gentleman for a driver, as being just a little stressful. Pitch dark, not a light in sight, a veritable path way for a 22 seat bus with a trailer hitched to it for luggage. We finally made it there and our hostel adventure started.

We were met by Vicki and her three dogs, one of which was HUGE, named chug a bunga, then two others Rosie and FiFi. They were all adopted township dogs that were rescued - two of them had coloring just like JT, I was ready to bring them home.

The students had a bunk room with 16 beds and I was living in the lap of luxury in my single with adjoining bathroom what I shared with our 70 year old driver, Lenny. All I wanted to do was go to bed, and that's just what I did not caring that there didn't seem to be the same amenities that I am used to! ha ha. Oh did I mention that my body, especially my knee, grew more bruises from my cave dwelling? I woke up the next morning to see the most incredible view that I have seen in a long time, complete with an Italian mob boss hideout and families of baboons.

The next morning we met Vicki's husband/friend (never got the low down on their relationship) and the two children they had taken in because their mother was a drug addict and had abandoned them for weeks at a time when they were 3 and 5. The little boys name was Gift and the little girls I can spell. They were the most beautiful, happy and fun loving children I have met in a long time. Full of hugs and giggles. The students were in love! Vicki and Matthew own and run an orphanage in their spare time and great cooks. For $150 dollars I got lodging for 3 nights, 3 full meals and breakfasts which were delicious. I think I've found a new way to travel.

more to come.....with pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment